PDA

View Full Version : IC Capture for End Users problems

Eric222
May 21, 2005, 18:35:27
I'm primarily capturing AVIs using IC Capture for End Users. However, I'm running into several problems I hope can be addressed:

1) Which of the codecs offer uncompressed AVI captures or is there a way to bypass the codecs altogether? I am uncertain about codecs. Some of the codecs seem to be freezing my system when I try to stop an AVI. Is there a fix?

2) I notice that this software does not seem to allow automatic sequential naming of AVI files and that it must be done manually before a new AVI is captured. Is there a way to make it automatically rename the next file to be captured?

3) When I engage the histogram, my system freezes. This may be due to the fact that I am using a low end pc that barely meets requirements for the camera/ software with insufficient RAM, but I want to make sure that's the problem.

Thank you,
Eric

Stefan Geissler
May 23, 2005, 09:47:14
Hello Eric,

1) Which of the codecs offer uncompressed AVI captures or is there a way to bypass the codecs altogether? I am uncertain about codecs. Some of the codecs seem to be freezing my system when I try to stop an AVI. Is there a fix?
In version 1.1 of IC Capture you can find at the end of the codec list RGB24, RGB32 and YUV. These formats will write uncompressed AVI files. Since i do not know, which codecs freeze you system ad stop, i can not say anything about possible reasons for this behaviour.

2) I notice that this software does not seem to allow automatic sequential naming of AVI files and that it must be done manually before a new AVI is captured. Is there a way to make it automatically rename the next file to be captured?
This feature is not available in version 1.1 of IC Capture. I had a request for this feature once before. It is usefull for astronomical purposes. I think, it is easier to write a new small program with Visual Basic, that creates file names automatically, if AVI capture ist started. The IC Imaging Control SDK makes it relativly simple to program this.

3) When I engage the histogram, my system freezes. This may be due to the fact that I am using a low end pc that barely meets requirements for the camera/ software with insufficient RAM, but I want to make sure that's the problem.
The histogramm needs a lot of CPU load. Thus you might be right. May be, this is the reason, why some the the codecs have a strange behaviour. You should keep in mind, that image compressing needs a lot of CPU load. But in my opinion an 800 MHz system with 128 MB Ram should work properly in most cases.

Eric222
May 23, 2005, 16:37:07
Hello Stefan:

Thanks for your response. YUV and RGB32 freeze even my P4 desktop, but RGB24 is ok and appears to be, as you mentioned, an uncompressed format. On the P4, very few frames are dropped.

The histogram problem was definitely due to an inadequate system- on the P4, there is no problem.

Unfortunately, I am not a programmer. However, if writing something to be added is possible and simple like you say, I'd be willing to learn for this purpose. I'd appreciate any pointers in this regard.

Thanks again,
Eric

Stefan Geissler
May 23, 2005, 16:44:47
Hello Eric,

In version 2.0 of IC Capture the AVI name incrementing will be implemented. But please do not ask me for a release date :-)