PDA

View Full Version : XP SP2 issue, Contrast issue, switching between cameras issue, Device names issue

DFranklin
November 18, 2004, 21:10:51
Hi,

I have four issues that I'm hoping you can help me with.

The system I am using is a P4 2.4 GHZ HyperThreading 512 MB Ram with XP SP1 and IC 1.41, cameras are Sony DFW-SX900 and SONY DFW-VL500
Dev - VB6

1. When I installed XP SP2 and rebooted I got a Blue screen indicating there was a problem with the driver for the Sony Cameras (the one supplied with your software). Once I unplugged the Sony Cameras, my system loaded up fine, but once they were plugged in again the system would crash. Only a uninstall of XP SP2 rectified the problem.

2. Whenever I use either of the SONY Cameras and try to change the Contrast manually it works in as if it is still in auto mode, if the Exposure is also set to auto. The only way for me to set the Contrast manually is to set the Exposure to manual as well. This works the same within the DCAM demo as well as within my application.

3. Whenever I try to change from the SONY DFW-SX900 camera to the SONY DFW-VL500 and vice-versa, I receive an error like the below:

"An unexpected DShowLibException occurred: CVideoProcAmpPropertyItem::setManual(long) : failed COM Error Message : One or more arguments are invalid In file : C:\CSource\core\DSowLib\VideoProcAmpPropertyItem.c pp at line : 163"

and then a couple of "Invalid property value" messages or some error to do with Exposure, Brightness, Contrast etc. This happen with the DCAM Demo app as well as within my application. And for me to get the camera working again, I have to disconnect the previously used camera or restart my machine.

4. The device names that are returned when I connect new cameras are "Sony 1394 Camera", "Sony 1394 Camera 1", Sony 1394 Camera 2", etc. This doesn't allow me to distinguish between the types of cameras by their Model name, which isn't really that big a deal, except that when say "Sony 1394 camera 1" and "Sony 1394 Camera" are disconnected, the Camera which was enumerated as "Sony 1394 Camera 2" becomes "Sony 1394 Camera", which causes big problems with my software. It seems that the lastest driver on your website takes care of the problem. However, I believe that I would have to pay for full use, which I don't think I should have to since the original driver I purchased with the ICImaging Control 1.41 software should have taken care of this.

Let me know what you think of these issues.

Regards,
David

Stefan Geissler
November 19, 2004, 08:57:02
David

1. When I installed XP SP2 and rebooted I got a Blue screen indicating there was a problem with the driver for the Sony Cameras (the one supplied with your software). Once I unplugged the Sony Cameras, my system loaded up fine, but once they were plugged in again the system would crash. Only a uninstall of XP SP2 rectified the problem.

The problem with Windows XP SP2 is known. Please download the latest driver version of the TIS Sony driver at http://www.1394imaging.com/software/drivers.
Start your computer without the camera connected. Change into the Windows/System32/drivers directory. Delete the all files that match to TIS*.SYS. Now connect your camera and install the downloaded driver.

2. Whenever I use either of the SONY Cameras and try to change the Contrast manually it works in as if it is still in auto mode, if the Exposure is also set to auto. The only way for me to set the Contrast manually is to set the Exposure to manual as well. This works the same within the DCAM demo as well as within my application.

DCam cameras have no contrast. The contrast is interpreted as gain. If automatic for exposure is enabled, the camera automatically enables the automatic for gain too. It is not possible to handle automatic for gain and exposure separately.

3. Whenever I try to change from the SONY DFW-SX900 camera to the SONY DFW-VL500 and vice-versa, I receive an error like the below:

"An unexpected DShowLibException occurred: CVideoProcAmpPropertyItem::setManual(long) : failed COM Error Message : One or more arguments are invalid In file : C:\CSource\core\DSowLib\VideoProcAmpPropertyItem.c pp at line : 163"

and then a couple of "Invalid property value" messages or some error to do with Exposure, Brightness, Contrast etc. This happen with the DCAM Demo app as well as within my application. And for me to get the camera working again, I have to disconnect the previously used camera or restart my machine.

The VL500 has some more properties than the SX900 e.g. focus and iris. If values of these properties are tried to be set to the SX900 you would get this error message. Also the range of the properties may differ e.g. the frame rate. Your application should check, whether a property exists and whether the value to be set is valid for this camera. The old Sony driver sets a wrong default frame rate for the SX900, so this camera would not deliver frames, if the frame rate has not been set to a valid value.

4. The device names that are returned when I connect new cameras are "Sony 1394 Camera", "Sony 1394 Camera 1", Sony 1394 Camera 2", etc. This doesn't allow me to distinguish between the types of cameras by their Model name, which isn't really that big a deal, except that when say "Sony 1394 camera 1" and "Sony 1394 Camera" are disconnected, the Camera which was enumerated as "Sony 1394 Camera 2" becomes "Sony 1394 Camera", which causes big problems with my software. It seems that the lastest driver on your website takes care of the problem. However, I believe that I would have to pay for full use, which I don't think I should have to since the original driver I purchased with the ICImaging Control 1.41 software should have taken care of this.

The names are created by the driver setup and by Windows. If you are able to retrieve the serial number, IC Imaging Control offers methods to do so, you can identify each camera correctly.
If you have purchased you SONY DCam cameras from The Imaging Source company, you do not need to pay for them. Please send a request with the serial numbers of your cameras to support@imagingcontrol.com. Also the update to IC Imaging Control 2.0 is free.

DFranklin
December 2, 2004, 18:09:16
Thanks for the quick response, you guys have great support by the way.

Well the latest Sony Driver cleared up all of the above issues. However I'm having a new problem just with the Sony DFW-SX900, if I load the image settings from an INI file that has the WhiteBalanceRedAuto set to 0, the WhiteBalanceRed's value becomes 2 no matter what the INI file says. If the WhiteBalanceRedAuto is set to 1, then I do not have that problem.

Also is there a way to check to see what MemoryCurrentGrabberColorformats a camera supports?

Is a way to check to see if a camera is monochrome?

Finally, since I have not bought any of my Sony Cameras from you guys, what do I have to do to get the fully licensed Sony Driver?

Regards,
David

BTW- it looks like there is a trailing space in the driver name for the Sony DFW-VL500 camera i.e. "DFW-VL500 v.100 "

Stefan Geissler
December 3, 2004, 09:08:30
Hello David

However I'm having a new problem just with the Sony DFW-SX900, if I load the image settings from an INI file that has the WhiteBalanceRedAuto set to 0, the WhiteBalanceRed's value becomes 2 no matter what the INI file says. If the WhiteBalanceRedAuto is set to 1, then I do not have that problem.

It is very important to disable the automatic settings before the values of the properties can be set. Set WhiteBalanceRedAuto to 0 and then set the WhiteBalanceRed's and WhiteBalanceBlue's value. If you would perform this in other sequence, the values for WhiteBalanceRed and WhiteBalanceBlue are to be ignored and an error is created.

Also is there a way to check to see what MemoryCurrentGrabberColorformats a camera supports?

The transformation from the camera's video format to the specified MemoryCurrentGrabberColorformat is done by the computer. For this transformation DirectShow filters are to be used. For most common video formats, any conversion should be working without problems. For some less common YUV video formats no color space transform filters are available. In this case, an error message is generated. There is now way except testing, to check out, which video formats are transformable and which not. I have no list about these video formats.

Is a way to check to see if a camera is monochrome?

Yes, if the video format is only Y800 or RGB8 you have a monochrome video format. RGB8 is commonly interpreted as 8bit monochrome video format, even though it is a format with 256 colors.
Also set the MemoryCurrentGrabberColorformat to RGB24. If the camera is a color camera and you have set a color video format, you should see a colored image. If all video formats of the used camera show only b/w images, you have a monochrome camera.
The Sony XCD camera are monochrome cameras. The Sony DFW cameras are color cameras. This is part of Sony's names convention.

Finally, since I have not bought any of my Sony Cameras from you guys, what do I have to do to get the fully licensed Sony Driver?

Just send an order to support@imagingcontrol.com

DFranklin
December 20, 2004, 22:39:44
I was able to take care of the WhiteBalanceRedAuto issue mentioned above by doing what you suggested (setting the WhiteBalanceRedAuto value before the WhiteBalanceRed and WhiteBalanceBlue values). I was also able to obtain the information I needed to obtain the Full Sony driver license. Thanks again for all your help.

David