PDA

View Full Version : Losing Y800 video subtype

Unregistered
July 14, 2004, 09:01:34
I'm using DFK 21F04 and DMK 21F04 cameras under Windows XP on an IBM Thinkpad A31p. I'm using primary IC Capture Standard, but I've also been using GraphEdit.

After I've been running the cameras a while, IC Capture will sometimes report that it has lost the connection to the cameras. After unplugging and replugging the FireWire cable (and restarting the FireWire bus via Device Manager), I can't get IC Capture to recognize the cameras anymore. When I select the camera in IC Capture, it reports that "Live mode could not be started. Please make sure no other program uses the device and that there is enough bandwidth on your firewire bus available." No other program is using the camera, and the camera is the only thing on the FireWire bus.

If I open up GraphEdit and add the camera to the graph, then right-click on it, choose Properties, and look at the Capture tab, I see the various video formats that the camera supports. Most of them are decoded into a friendly name, e.g.:

Major Type: Video - Sub Type: Y411 - Format: Y411 640x480, 12 bits rcSrc=(0,0,0,0) rcDst=(0,0,0,0)

However, when this problem happens, I find that the system no longer recognizes the Y800 format. Instead, I see:

Major Type: Video - Sub Type: {30303859-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} - Format: Y800 640x480, 8 bits rcSrc=(0,0,0,0) rcDst=(0,0,0,0)

The last time this happened, I somehow managed to get the Y800 format back, and everything worked again. However, I had to try a bunch of different things before it finally re-appeared, and I don't know what finally made it reappear.

What makes this go away, and what's the proper way to get it back?

Stefan Geissler
July 14, 2004, 13:49:12
I think, the camera goes away from the system while the computer enters the power save mode. You may disable the whole power save settings and check again.

The error message provided by IC Capture says, the camera is recognized, but the live video stream could not be started. May be there are I/O errors or problems with the FireWire Bus.

Also i presume, you have restarted IC Capture after you lost the camera. Afer you have reconnected the camera to the computer, is it listed in the device manager?

To the video formats: Y800 is no standard video format like RGB24 or UYVY. The name is not hardcoded in GraphEdit, therefore the name of the Y800 differs from the other formats. But i do not realy understand, what you mean and when this problem occurs.
May be Windows loads the standard driver, not the TIS driver for you camera. This would explain the problems with the Y800 format, because this format is not supported by the standard driver. You may reinstall the TIS driver that comes on the CD ROM that is provided with your cameras.