PDA

View Full Version : XP fails to recognise DCAM hardware

xcd-x700_user
June 21, 2004, 18:37:34
Hello,
I am having issues with Windows XP failing to recognise a Sony XCD-X700 dcam. My system/hardware specs are as follows....
I have an adaptec AFW-4300 firewire board. This is OHCI compliant, and working correctly. I have installed the latest WDM driver for a sony DCAM, and followed the installation instructions exactly, ie running the batch file before trying to set up the rest of the driver.
However, in the device manager (in WinXP), i still have no 'Generic 1394 Desktop Camera'. If I have the device unplugged, and then plug it in, XP fails to recognise any new hardware being added. I have no 3rd party software installed which could have corrupted the XP dcam drivers. As far as I can tell, I have no hardware IRQ conflictions which would inhibit the camera.
Any help anyone can give would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Stefan Geissler
June 22, 2004, 08:44:19
Hello,

I assume, the camera could be defective. If you connect your camera to the computer, does a small green LED glows at the back panel of the camera? If not, the camera is not powered or defective.
May be the FireWire cable is defective.
If the hardware is working correctly, Windows XP should recognize the new hardware anyway. The driver has nothing to do with the hardware recognition of Windows.

xcd-x700_user
June 22, 2004, 14:03:59
The cameras do appear to be powered (the green LED is on). I have a Sony DFW-X700, which also is not recognised by XP. The firewire cables are all working. I have also tested the system with only plugging in one camera at a time, and with all three connected, incase it was a problem with the current supplied by the firewire board (as far as i can tell, the adaptec should easily be able to cope with the current requirements of the xcd-x700, as they require only around 0.4A).

The cameras were inherited from a previous project, which ran under NT(unfortunately, the computer on which they ran has now been dissassembled). They were working perfectly then, so I would assume all three cameras have not suddenly malfunctioned in exactly the same way.

There have been no other mentions you've heard of these cameras having trouble running under XP? I've tested everything I can think of, and therefore concluded it was an issue with these cameras (and hence why the xcd-x710 came out as an update). Thanks for your help anyway.

Stefan Geissler
June 23, 2004, 09:31:19
Hello,

I can only assume a problem with your FireWire board. You may exchange it? Normally after the cameras have been connected to the computer, they should be listed as Generic 1394 Desktop Cameras and the Windows XP standard DCam driver should be used. But it nothing happens and the cameras are not recognized, but they are still OK, then it could be the FireWire Board.

xcd-x700_user
June 29, 2004, 14:23:23
Thanks,
the problem has been semi-solved now. It was indeed a firewire problem - the board was working with everything else we tried on it, it just refused to recognise the cameras.
However, I have another question - the colour camera is recognised fine, and one of the XCD-X700 b/w cameras is recognised by XP but the other camera is not recognised in the 'device manager'. However, I know the sytem can see it in a way, because the video previewing software that comes with the sony drivers works fine for one x700 camera, but 'freezes' when the other camera is plugged in. If the other camera is then pulled out, the video previewing continues as normal. It has been suggested the non-functioning camera may previously have been used as a slave camera, responding only to an external trigger.
My question is this - as it is possible to change some of the 'internal' settings of the camera (the control / status register), is it possible that this is the reason why XP would fail to recognise a camera? And if so, is there any way to reset the control / status register settings for a camera XP won't recognise?
Thanks.

Stefan Geissler
June 29, 2004, 14:59:56
Hello,

It is not possible to change the registers of the camera. But the SONY XCD X 700 does not save internally, whether external trigger was enabled or not. So if this camera is connected to a new computer, the external trigger is disabled per default.
Also the external trigger plays no rule to the Windows hardware detection or the connection to the FireWire board. With or without enabled trigger, the camera must be recognized anyway.
You can enable and disable the external trigger using the trial version of IC Capture. (http://www.1394imaging.com/products/software/iccaptureprof/)

If a second camera freezes (does not deliver images while the first one is connected to the FireWire bus) then there might be a problem with this camera. (Short circuit?)