PDA

View Full Version : MVP file

jolim1970
June 9, 2004, 09:50:22
Hi,

I have created an ocx file using the workbench. Do I still need the .MVP file?

It seems that if the .MVP file is missing I cannot run my routine successfully. Is there a way to use the ocx without the .MVP file as I do not want to have so many .MVP files in my installation directory.

OR is there a way to combine all my .MVP files into one ocx or dll?

Thanks.

jolim

Marc Cymontkowski
June 10, 2004, 10:37:13
Hi Jolim,

Yes, you always need the MVP files, they are loaded by the ActiveX Control (Integration or Smart Control).

Best Regards,

Marc Cymontkowski

jolim1970
June 11, 2004, 02:36:31
Hi,

Is there anyway I can combine MVP files into one or do without the MVP files?

Thanks.

Marc Cymontkowski
June 11, 2004, 08:43:09
Hi,

No, the MVP files are required. There may be ways to integrate MVP files into the resources of an executable and at runtime save them to disc and load them, but that's a bit complicated and not recommended.

Best Regards,

Marc

JuzZen
June 14, 2004, 03:41:07
Hi Marc,

I have the same query as Jolim as well. I have few concerns about the MVP file. The first concern as Jolim had mentioned, missing MVP file may cause the routine not to run well and they occupied the installation disk space too.

Another concern is that, if the user happen to have downloaded the Montivsion Development Trial version kit. They might be able to meddle with the MVP file and disrupted the whole routine.

On the whole, Montivision provides a powerful backend routine for digital imaging technology. My company has been trying out on the trial version and found it promising. But the main concern now is on the MVP file and had held up the decision until there is better solution for the MVP files integration.

Best Regards,
JuzZen

Marc Cymontkowski
June 14, 2004, 08:35:55
Hi JuzZen,

I discussed the problem with the developers and we had the following idea: What if the workbench offers additional save/load 'secure' option where you can pass a key that is used to encrypt/decrypt the code in the MVP file?

Best Regards,

Marc Cymontkowski

jolim1970
June 15, 2004, 04:26:09
Hi,

That might solves the problem with other people trying to open the file and changing its contents. However you mentioned in the above post that there is another way:-

"There may be ways to integrate MVP files into the resources of an executable and at runtime save them to disc and load them, but that's a bit complicated and not recommended."

Would you be able to share with us how that is done?

I tend to look at the MVP file as the VBP file. I will never distribute the VBP file to my customer even if there is a password or encryption to it...it is just too risky.

Hope there is another way to get around this.

Thanks You.

Marc Cymontkowski
June 15, 2004, 08:27:33
Hi,

the think is that i am not sure how to add any kind of resource (e.g. a MVP file) to a VB project as resource. In VC++ it is pretty easy. You would have to load the resource, write it to a temp file, load that file and then delete the file.

Do you know how to add a resource like an MVP file to a VB executable?

Anyway we decided to implement the following two things into our development kit:

1) MVP file encryption
2) If possible, load MVP files from resources (in discussion)

In my opinion you should't worry too much to distribute an encrypted MVP file. Someone with assembler knowledge is also able to reverse engineer your VB/VC etc. code. Decrypt an encrypted file that uses an unknown encryption should be harder to do.

Best Regards,

Marc

JuzZen
June 16, 2004, 04:27:48
Hi Marc,

thanks for the response. However, I have the same thinking as Jolim. Your suggestion provided might only solved for not allowing user to tamper the MVP files. But still, we do not wish to distribute the MVP files to our users.

Nevertheless, I am glad to know that VC++ might be able to resolve the issue.
If it is possible, can I request to have a sample in VC++, loading the resource as suggested in the previous thread by you, "In VC++ it is pretty easy. You would have to load the resource, write it to a temp file, load that file and then delete the file."

Best Regards,
JuzZen

Marc Cymontkowski
June 16, 2004, 10:56:06
Hi,

We modified the VC++ sample application LiveDraw in order to demonstrate how to load an MVP file from the resources. Please drop us an eMail to support@montivision.com in order to get the sample application.

Best Regards,

Marc

Marc Cymontkowski
July 8, 2004, 08:22:46
Hi,

a short update on MVP file handling. The next version of the development kit will include a functionality to generate include files from MVP files for C/C#/C++, Delphi, and VB6/VB.NET from within the Workbench. Those include files will contain strings that can be given to the LoadConfig() method of the ActiveX Controls.

Best Regards,

Marc Cymontkowski