PDA

View Full Version : Embedding Data in AVI Files

AndyF
March 18, 2004, 12:03:44
Is there any way of embedding small amouts of data into AVI files on a frame by frame basis which can be retreived when reading the file? I would like to record a few text parameters with each frame (say, up to 256 characters). For example, would it be possible to append more text to the time stamp information?

Many thanks.

Stefan Geissler
March 19, 2004, 10:26:39
Hello,

As far as i know, there os no possibilty. Alternativly you could overwrite the first line of the frame before writing it into the AVI file. But this can not be done with IC Imaging Control.

AndyF
March 19, 2004, 10:52:02
Stefan,

Thanks for the response. I will look into encoding the data into the image as you suggest.

Thanks

Stefan Geissler
March 19, 2004, 11:04:19
Andy,

this would only work, if the AVI is saved uncompressed. If you save it as compressed AVI, the result is unpredictable. You could use the Overlay Bitmap of IC Imaging Control to draw dots in the color of o the ASCII values of your text letters in the first line.

AndyF
March 22, 2004, 09:35:06
Stefan,

You are right of course. If the text was colour encoded, as you suggest, I guess that there is still a possibility that there may be some corruption when decoding after de-compression depending on the codec and quality.

We have an alternative approach of simply storing a a second file with the data and referencing the frame number within the avi - it just isn't quite so elegant!

Many thanks.