PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Quickcam Sphere (Orbit in the US)

MagiCminD
March 4, 2004, 01:53:59
Helo all.

I'm desperately looking for some ActiveX or DLL that can control the PTZ feature of this camera.
Logitech tell me that it's proprietary code, even though I keep telling them that I just want some kind of compiled stuff, no code at all.

I've seen setpwc for linux but my knowledge of linux doesn't allow me to interpret the code in the setpwc.c and headers in the time I have available to do it.

Please, anyone?

Thank you very much.

Stefan Geissler
March 4, 2004, 08:44:48
Hello,

I searched the Logitec sites for programming support, but i found nothing. I suggest to write an email direct to Logitec and ask for help.

MagiCminD
March 4, 2004, 21:19:48
No can do. Take a look at this:

I sent a fax asking for help in this terms:

NOTES/COMMENTS:
Hello all,

As phone conversation taken a few minutes ago, I'm writing to request some help on two subjects, as follow:

I would like to have a CLSID of the Quickcam Sphere (orbit) so I could embed it on a webpage;

I would like to have some kind of ActiveX control or DLL that would allow a software developed by me to control the camera image and PTZ features.

I realize that the sources for these may be proprietary of Logitech and I hereby declare that it's not my intention to publish it, disassemble it, crack it or provide it to others.

I would also like to refer that I don't need and I'm not asking for any kind of secret revelation, nor do I intent to have any source code. If you decide to provide me an ActiveX, you can also send a EULA for it as you wish.

The reason for these requests is that I'm currently working on a fire detection project, nation wide, with support from some major companies in Portugal as well as some government departments. This project will need several video cameras to support the measures taken from our infrared devices that actually analyze the atmosphere on an infrared spectrum. These analysis results, if abnormal, shall trigger some actions, one of those being the turn and tilt of a camera to the specified angles, so the fire can be "seen" from a web client.

I believe you will understand that it is a serious project and I would be glad to refer Logitech as the company that helped us to build it.

Thank you very much for your attention to this subject.

Best regards,

Fernando Trindade

fernando.trindade@magicmind.com.pt

------------------------------------------------------------------

The reply was quick and effective:

Hello Fernando,

Unfortunately, we can not answer your questions regarding the QuickCam Orbit due to the answers being proprietary information. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding regarding this matter.

Regards,
Randy Sunga
Video PTM - Logitech
6505 Kaiser Drive
Fremont Ca 94555

----------------------------------------------------------

Now...
WHAT secrets???? they actually provide a program to control the camera... the only thing I would like to have is another program (binary code) that could control the camera in a way that would not receive keyboard input but a string or values....

:(