PDA

View Full Version : switch between 2 webcam ????

sony
February 19, 2004, 20:48:26
Hello. I'm Sony from Iran and I need your HELP, Please!!! I am now working on a MS vc++ 6.0 program that need display videos

From two webcams. I have two usb webcams that I need to connecting to them and grab images from them. With "Video Capture"

Commands and functions like "capConnectedDriver()" I can connected to one webcam and get images from it, but i need to initialize two webcams and connect sometimes to webcam1 (in usb port 1) and sometimes to another webcam2 in another usb port. I didnít know how to do that.

If you can help me I will be grateful.

Thanks , Sony. (sony_synco@yahoo.com)

Stefan Geissler
February 20, 2004, 15:37:41
Hello,

Windows lists all cameras, that are connected to the computer. With
IC Imaging Control in VC++ 6.0 you can instantiate for each connected camera a Grabber object, that
can capture AVI Files too. Depending of the resolution and frame rate of your cameras, bandwidth on
the USB is allocated. If they try to allocate to much bandwidth, the second camera will not run
parallel to the first one.
You could try the trial version of IC Capture to test your computer system. With IC Capture, you can
open all video capture devices, that are connected to your computer and start AVI capture. IC
Capture has been programmed with VC++ 6.0 and IC Imaging Control SDK.

The connection to different cameras uses the names of the cameras. At first, you need to query the
names of all connected cameras. With Grabber::openDev("device name") the camera is opened and with
Grabber::startLive() you can see the live video. Remember: you can use more than von Grabber object
to open more than one camera parallel. Example:
Grabber1.openDev("USB Cam");
Grabber2.openDev("USB Cam 1");
Grabber3.openDev("USB Cam 2");

Grabber1.startLive();
Grabber2.startLive();
Grabber3.startLive();

It is also possible, to use the Grabber objects in an array.

swarn_kant
August 21, 2006, 13:39:46
Hi,

Yes u r right, I have written an application to run 2 webcams, but first webcam consumes so much bandwidth that 2 webcam did not start.

Plz suggest me the possible solutions, i had some in my mind.

1. Might reducing the resolution, fps will decrease the consumption of bandwidth.

2. Use another USB card and attach second cam to that card.

Plzzz help me, I am in Great Need, u can mail me also at : swarn_kant@hotmail.com.

Thanks in Advance.

Stefan Geissler
August 22, 2006, 08:23:21
Hello,

The solutions you described are suitable. You may also check, whether you can reduce the frame rate.
If you do not want to reduce the frame rate and resolution, then you should use a second interface card (USB) in your computer.