PDA

View Full Version : DirectShow filter graphs ????

Ray_A
November 12, 2003, 17:01:34
There is nothing worse than a nagging newbie. I'm not new to VB, but I'm new to DirectX and IC Imaging Control.

We REALLY need to know whether your product can work with remote filter graph video streams. Your tool is one of the few that renders multiple live videos at once using VB6. When I look at your link it sounds like IC Imaging Control DOES support DirectX/DirectShow:

http://www.1394imaging.com/resources/backgnd/software/what_is_directx/?sid=773eb3637adedd83351e18b246920f96

If our government project gets the green light we will be looking for dozens of firewire cameras, converters, and such. We may also buy multiple versions of your software products. In addition, we might even pay for custom enhancements to extend your product. We are a VC6 and VB6 shop so your products are ideal.

PLEASE pose this question to your senior engineers ASAP.

Johannes Vogel
November 13, 2003, 15:39:24
Hello,

IC Imaging Control cannot load a filter graph and render it because it abstracts totally from the filter graph concept. The programmer does not have to know anything about filter graphs. Therefore, IC Imaging Control is easy to use because no knowledge about DirectShow is required.
First of all, I would like to know why you want to use your own filter graph? Maybe you can achieve the same functionality using IC Imaging Control.
If you do not want to discuss the concept of your application in public, you welcome send a mail to support@imagingcontrol.com

Ray_A
November 13, 2003, 16:42:20
Thanks Johannes,

Can IC Imaging Control render remote multi-cast output with a DirectX filter graph via tcp/ip? It sounds like your control has the "smarts" to render a live DirectX filter graph. The problem is that we may have to create filter graphs using third party filters, possibly non-DirectX.

Your product could probably also help render the physical device output to buffers for multi-casting to remote operator stations.

But, the senior engineer in charge is a die-hard C++ programmer and he doesn't think VB can render live video via filter graphs; even though I demonstrated your multi-video project to him along with an MSDN VB project that renders AVI through DirectX filter graphs. I think the reason I'm having problems rendering live video through VB (without IC Image Control) is because my program doesn't have the "smarts" to construct a graph using the necessary filters. I might not even have the necessary filters on my machine, even though I've installed the DirectX 9 sdk.

My understanding of your product is that it does have the "smarts" to construct the necessary filter graph to render a live video stream. I guess it could be using WDM or DirectX and I couldn't tell.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it since your product is really designed to render directly from the device.

The senior C++ programmer has constructed a crude capture/multicast program where he constructs the filters and pins for a specific filter graph. If he transmits this stream to my machine via tcp/ip would your IC Image Control be able to render it using VB? This is the only way I will be able to sway him towards your product.

Thanks,
Ray