PDA

View Full Version : High CPU Usage

Unregistered
July 4, 2003, 18:06:36
I am trying out the ActiveX and ran the sample applications that came with it. When I run the sample apps and have the video format set to 640 x 480 the CPU usage is extremly high while previewing the image. I have also used a sample app from Microsoft that uses directX (AMCap.exe) and the cpu usage is minimal at the same video format. Is it something I am doing wrong or is this the way this program works

Terry Sopkow

Stefan Geissler
July 8, 2003, 14:34:15
Terry ,

Which sample apps do you use? I compared amcap.exe with the standard IC demoapp (classlib and Visual Basic). The classlib sample needs the same, as amcap, the Visual Basic sample needs 5% on my machin more, than amcap.
The IC Imaging Control ActiveX has some overhead, that costs CPU load.

Terry Sopkow
July 15, 2003, 16:43:38
Stefan,

This is the values that I am getting,
amcap.exe, 2%
ClassLib sample, 100%
VB Sample, 100%

The video capture card I am using is an ATI All in Wonder 8500 DV and have a B/W camera attached to the composite input.

As you see the overhead is bad, any suggestions?

Johannes Vogel
July 15, 2003, 19:10:51
Helllo,

I have few auestions about the boudary conditions:

- pixel depth of the desktop
- pixel format of the video input: VUY, RGB24, RGB32 ?

There might be an overhead because IC does more than sending the image stream to the display. You can try to set the LiveCapturePause property to true. This will cause IC to only display the live image. In this mode, it is not possible to copy any images to the ring buffer. Please refer to

http://www.imagingcontrol.com/ic/docs/html/activex/ref/ic/i_ic_livecapturepause.htm

for more information.

Best regards
Johannes
IC Support