PDA

View Full Version : Full camera name...

JLBrown
June 30, 2003, 15:00:15
I have a Sony DFW-SX900 camera attached to my system. However both in the setup device dilaog and calling pGrabber->getDev().c_str() return "Sony 1394 camera".

In the device manager it's driver is called "Sony 1394 DFW-SX900 Camera"

Is there any way I can find the full name of the camera or even just the model code "DFW-SX900" as we want to be able to cause the application to do different things dependant on the attached sony camera, however it will not help us when they are all described as "Sony 1394 Camera".

Thanks in advance.

John
As-Built Solutions Ltd.

JLBrown
June 30, 2003, 15:02:05
FYI, the computer is a Sony Vaio laptop running Windows 2000, developing using VC++ 6.0

John

Stefan Geissler
July 1, 2003, 10:22:32
Hello,

The problem is in the .inf file of the SONY WDM driver. You can use regedit.exe to change the camera name from "Sony 1394 Camera" to "Sony 1394 DFW-SX900 Camera". You will find some entries. You must find the matching with try and error. The name of the camera is in the key "#Global/Device Parameters/FriendlyName".

bstichbury
July 11, 2003, 01:52:52
Hi

I have a similar problem. I need some way of pulling out the serial number or similar unique ID of a firewire camera (I am using Fire-i cameras from Unibrain).

My situation is that I have 6 firewire cameras attached to my computer which view different locations and have sensors and lights at those locations. If a camera is detached from the computer, the remaining cameras no longer match their location.

To illustrate, if I use getAvailableVideoCaptureDevices() with 6 cameras, I get:

Unibrain Fire-i 1394 Camera Driver (Unibrain)
Unibrain Fire-i 1394 Camera Driver (Unibrain) 1
Unibrain Fire-i 1394 Camera Driver (Unibrain) 2
Unibrain Fire-i 1394 Camera Driver (Unibrain) 3
Unibrain Fire-i 1394 Camera Driver (Unibrain) 4
Unibrain Fire-i 1394 Camera Driver (Unibrain) 5

If I remove camera 3, and do another getAvailableVideoCaptureDevices(), I get:

Unibrain Fire-i 1394 Camera Driver (Unibrain)
Unibrain Fire-i 1394 Camera Driver (Unibrain) 1
Unibrain Fire-i 1394 Camera Driver (Unibrain) 2
Unibrain Fire-i 1394 Camera Driver (Unibrain) 3
Unibrain Fire-i 1394 Camera Driver (Unibrain) 4

Hope you can help
Brendon Stichbury

JLBrown
July 11, 2003, 09:44:46
I have to say in the end I gave up, as everytime you put a new camera on it creates a new entry in the registry, which would have to be changed. Had a quick look at changing the sony 'inf' file. Could probably do it, but in the end just gave up.

Something that might help you Brendon, is 'VideoCaptureDeviceItem::getSerialNumber' it's apparently not supported by all devices, how ever if it is would help you out. It's a new function added in 1.4 of Imaging control.

Hope this helps,
John
As-Built Solutions Ltd

bstichbury
July 14, 2003, 04:19:00
Thanks John

getSerialNumber() isn't supported by these cameras. The company suggested buying their API which will retrieve the serial no. correctly. hmmmm...

Anyway, I intend to keep plugging.
Thanks again
Brendon

Johannes Vogel
July 14, 2003, 16:59:36
Hello,

We are developing a generic DCAM driver that will install with the correct device name. In addition this driver will support getSerialNumber(). This driver will solve the all installation problems of the Sony driver we are currently using.

Unfortunately I do not have a date for the release of this driver.

Best regards
Johannes
IC Support