PDA

View Full Version : Still image to AVI conversion?

Unregistered
April 14, 2003, 13:40:44
Is it possible to convert a batch of still images into a video stream and to write that stream into an AVI file?

Marc Cymontkowski
April 14, 2003, 13:51:44
Yes, load a batch of still images using the MV Batch Image File Source filter and connect the filter to the multiplexer (AVI Mux). The multiplexer has to be connected to the file writer. Optionally you can place an encoder filter between the source filter and the multiplexer.

MV Batch File Source Filter ---> [Encoder] ---> AVI Mux ---> File Writer

Best regards

Marc Cymontkowski

Marc Cymontkowski
April 14, 2003, 14:00:07
Thank you,

can i customize the frame rate of the resulting video file, so a new frame is displayed every second when i playback the video file?

Marc Cymontkowski
April 14, 2003, 14:01:22
Hello,

You can use the MV Recording filter to get video streams with customized frame rates. Set the recording mode of the filter on it's property page to "Video recording" and select the "customized frame rate" option. Now you can define your desired frame rate and start the record mode of the MV recording filter.

We are sorry that there is a bug in the MV Recording filter included in Version 1.0 of the development kit, so the frame rate is not set correctly. This bug is already fixed and the option will work in the next release of the development kit.

MV Batch File Source Filter --> MV Recording Filter ----------------> Video Renderer
\
--> [Encoder] --> AVI Mux --> File Writer

Best regards

Marc Cymontkowski

Virtual Optics
July 8, 2003, 04:38:18
I am building a VGA level camera to image frames of old 8 mm home movies and looking for a way to automatically convert the frames to an AVI file. Ideally, the device would automatically advance with each subsequent frame which could be sensed by a switch closure. Since 8 mm movies were captured at 24 frames per second, it may be necessary to play the same game as VHS tapes where every 5th frame is duplicated so that it will play back correctly at 20 fps. Where can I learn more about MontiVision and its capabilities?

jhattingh
July 8, 2003, 10:31:45
Hi Bud,

I need to clarify before I offer any suggestions... Your message suggests that you want to convert 8mm 24fps movies to VHS 20fps.

I'm not sure if it was a simple typo. If you are in the States, you will want to convert it to 30fps. i.e. 24fps 8mm movies -> NTSC Video (30fps).

Here in the UK, we work with 25fps which makes life a bit easier for these scenarios!

have you heard of "3:2 pull down"? It is a technique for converting 24fps progressive (non-interlaced) footage into 30fps interlaced. If you need any more info, let me know.

The great thing about the MontiVision SDK is that a number of people could post a reply to your message and each tell you a different way of using it to solve your scenario.

Please explain what hardware device you would use for triggering "next frame". Also, what (if any) camera you have or would want to use. This would help me to explain more specifically how you could implement a working solution.

In the meantime, take a look at the list of components in the MontiVision product range. Realise that they can be combined in a limitless number of combinations to acheive an equally limitless number of solutions. Go to the MontiVision website, click on the "Store" tab and look at the list of devkit components.

regards,

Jason Hattingh

Virtual Optics
July 9, 2003, 03:54:26
Keep in mind when I say 8 mm movies, I am talking about film movies...many taken when I was a youth back in the 1940's. Therefore, I will have to set up a VGA camera capable of capturing frames upon command from the computer, this will then also provide a signal to actuate a motor or solenoid device to advance the film to by one frame and repeat the process. I purchased a film editor from eBay which in the old days was used for previewing movies and deciding when to splice various scenes. This was a mechanical process. Amateur movies only ran for about 2 1/2 minutes and of course had the same sort of operator errors that video users have today, so to make a good movie, pieces of the film had to be cut out and sequences from different reels inserted.

I see this type of camera as having a potential niche market for restored old film 8mm and super 8 mm movies in family archives, besides my own stash. Right now VGA level cameras can be purchased in the US for under $50. Thanks for tipping me into the MontiVision Development Kit website. This is the first I have heard of it and still trying to understand what it does. I do find this BBS very useful.

Marc Cymontkowski
July 9, 2003, 08:06:40
Hi Bud,

The MontiVision Development Kit is a development environment which helps you to solve your specific task without the need of low level programming. By using the Workbench you can connect different modules to create a configuration that can be saved to disc.

If your camera provides a DirectX compatible driver, it will appear in the 'Video \\ Source' section in the Workbench. As a first step you could connect your camera to a video renderer which will display the camera images on the monitor. You can find the video renderer in the 'Video \\ Renderer' section.

Please look into the online help to find out about the possibilities that MontiVision can offer.

Regards

Marc Cymontkowski