PDA

View Full Version : best codec for AVI

Unregistered
February 4, 2003, 02:34:18
What is the best (or most effective) codec to use when capturing an AVI file with your IEEE1394 Video to Firewire converter? I've currently tried to use the code that is supplied with the converter and the example DCAM program, but it either fails to attach to the pins on some of the codecs, or it locks up every time after "stop live" is clicked (even if I've clicked "pause" before I've clicked "stop live on each"). Even if it does work the first time, it locks up on the second try.

Are there any other settings I could adjust as well to keep the system from hanging up?

Thanks in advance for the help.

willyx
February 4, 2003, 13:23:43
Time ago i've posted that in some PC i've the lock problem. The IC staff said that they have not this problem. However i've a nootebook with a fresh XP and 2000 installation and i'm unable to capture with divx codec 4.When there is the stop command the application freez. If i use a low resolution (not 720*5xx) i'm able to capture all avi. If IC need some sistem information i'm here:)

willyx
February 5, 2003, 16:50:22
Also there is a strage thing...i've two application made with IC. One is with VB6 and one with .NET. With vb.net all works (i've a licensing problem, but this is another story), the vb application have the lock problem.Also the example with IC have this problem (in my computer).This happen always in the stop call...i don't know the reason:(
I use divX 4.12 codec, win2k SP3 and standard DV signal . This could happen even after 10-15 film at application session.

Johannes Vogel
February 7, 2003, 17:16:41
Hello,

At the moment we cannot reproduce the freeze problem. Please give us a little more time to do further investigations.

Best regards
Johannes
IC Support

willyx
February 10, 2003, 16:04:31
I've installed Ic 1.4 in a new system (P3 733). I've installed VB 6 with SP5 and then IC.14.I've run the sample test made in c++ and works without problems, i've run the VB example and locks the program after a lot of avi capture.
This is the 5th system i've tryed and all have this problem. A .net application have a stragen effect...sometime after the stop call, the programm freez for 4-5 seconds and then works.Like if the .net have the freez problem but at least can recover it. I've tryed different codecs.
Oh...the compilated VB example ("C:\Programmi\The Imaging Source Europe GmbH\IC Imaging Control 1.4\Bin\Firstapp.exe") haven't the pause button, probably u haven't update the exe.
I hope this helps...and sorry my poor English:o

Johannes Vogel
March 6, 2003, 19:23:44
Hello,

the answer can be found here:

http://www.theimagingsourceforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=313374

Best regards
Johannes
IC Support